Sunday 16 September 2012

OCD Attacks What Matters Most

My OCD is pretty all encompassing at times. There are occasions when I ruminate so much over some of my anxious worries that it takes over.

One of the things I've learned is that OCD attacks the parts of life we hold dearest. The worries we have, that are caused by OCD, generally reflect what matters most. For example, those that fearfully ruminate on matters of honesty are folks that are committed to being honest.

In some ways I feel when I am obsessive about checking things it also relates to fear. Why do I feel the need to go and check if that appliance is switched off? In my mind it is because I don't want it to burst into flames (as if it would!). I don't want to burn my home down and cause harm to others.

Citing the examples above, being honest and not harming others are good motives but OCD takes things to the extreme end. It is because of these good traits that we have OCD in the first place. If we didn't care about being honest or the welfare of others there would be no OCD behaviour / thinking.

So we can rest our minds a little in the knowledge that OCD has set in, at least in part, due to some very positive characteristics.


No comments:

Post a Comment