Saturday 28 April 2012

"And what is the purpose of your visit today?"

When Mrs. LDSOCD and I were newly married we took a trip from Canada, where we lived at the time, and headed into the States. We left our twin babies at home and took off for beautiful Maine. This was a chance to escape the heavy responsibilities that come with being a parent, for a little while at least, to two lively, not to mention hungry, noisy and frequently aromatic boys.

At the border, the guards spotted my British passport and pulled me into the office for a "chat". The little fella that quizzed me (who was not for mincing his words) asked, "And what is your purpose in visiting the United States today?" What else could I say but the truth. A day trip, followed by an overnight stay. Many questions followed, delivered as my ultra-assertive border guard chum and i stood toe to toe in a tiny interview room. During our short,shaky (I was the shaky one) exchange it became clear that that he didn't believe my story. Yikes! I didn't want to be locked up or anything like that. Fortunately they "cut us loose" (their words) in the end and we were off.

Over a decade later, I am left to reflect on the question about "purpose".

Brother Thurl Bailey,a former NBA basketball star, was interviewed on the Mormon Channel recently and noted that this question of purpose, posed while travelling, got him to thinking hard. I subsequently have too.

What is my purpose today?

God has sent me here. I am, in many ways, faulty but He will guide me with to ultimately become who he wants me to be.

What does this person look like? I am only just beginning to scratch at the surface. I now feel that most of all I need to be me! Unequivocally me! Let's figure out who I am then I can start to make some progress.

In a nutshell then, I am a Son of God, a follower of Jesus Christ. I have been sent here to fulfill my own personal mandate and find my purpose(s). I experience weakness, made manifest in very many ways which includes OCD. I am struggling with this but know my Heavenly Father with help. I know that my overwhelming purpose is to be obedient to the principles and ordinances of the Gospel of Jesus Christ but am thrilled to know that God wants me to share from my heart some of my experiences and issues.

What brought you here today? Oh and while you're here, what is the purpose of your visit?



No comments:

Post a Comment